ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Re: [ga] More ALAC Follies

  • To: dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx, aizu@xxxxxxx, vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Re: [ga] More ALAC Follies
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 01:54:19 +0000

Danny,

Of course, we might have taken the wrong decision, and if this is the case, as I said in the previous message, it can be undone once we have the evidence.

I would like to be clear that all what we can do to perform due diligence is to evaluate documents available, we cannot go to the point of sending people over to check the situation directly.
And, as I said previously, there are documents who support the presence, and complaints.
Among the documents supporting the presence there is a folder documenting what has been done with money originating from the .nu business to build, among other things, an infrastructure that was not existing at all. In other words, in my own impression, the internet community in Niue would not have existed at all without Bill Semich. Of course, he might be doing this for his business interest, not for filantropy, but I do believe that to be besides the point.
As for the complaints of the government, it is clear to me that they are part of a negotiation to get a higher (fairer?) share of the cake, but this is, still IMHO, an internal problem of Niue, where it would remain to be seen whether the internet users are benefitting (as internet users, not as citizen of Niue) more from a shift of the .nu in government hands. That this is a political game and not a serious attempt to acquire control is evident from the fact that IANA (and I double-checked today, to be sure) has *never* received a request for redelegation, not even informal questions about the procedure.

Again, rest assured that, should ALAC have evidence of the Internet Society of Niue not being representative of the interest of the local internet community, we would go to a new evaluation and vote for de-certification.

Maybe soon in Vancouver?
Ciao,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC