ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] Discussions on the current model

  • To: "'Izumi AIZU'" <aizu@xxxxxxx>, "'ALAC - interim'" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] Discussions on the current model
  • From: "Sebas Ricciardi" <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:30:27 -0300

Please see my comments embedded

-----Mensaje original-----
De: owner-alac@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-alac@xxxxxxxxx] En nombre de Izumi
AIZU
Enviado el: Martes, 29 de Noviembre de 2005 09:46 p.m.
Para: 'ALAC - interim'
CC: alice@xxxxxxx; shahshah@xxxxxxxx; jacqueline.morris@xxxxxxxxx
Asunto: Re: [alac] Discussions on the current model

Dear all,

I very much echo with what Wendy wrote and observed below.

I do not want to impose or insist that we "faield" - as completely.

But at the same time, we could see we did not succeed in establishing the
RALOs within three years, that is a fact, right?

SR :: Nobody is denying that. And this is precisely why we should focus our
efforts in developing a detail plan for the future instead of giving up with
the model. We have put a lot of effort in this, but frankly, I think we need
better organization. There were substantive improvements in the last 3
years, and, even though if we thought it wont take us so much time, we are
much closer of that objective now.

And I do not see any ALSs certified so far has been that much active at all.

SR :: I think you're wrong. The problem is to organize those efforts. I'm
sure that all certified ALSs are eager to engage in policy discussions. To
keep them out of the discussion is completely our fault. If the mailing list
and the monthly newsletter is not enough to fulfil that goal, we should try
new ways. The new website will help us here, for sure.

For example, could you name which one, if any, is that active, putting
ICANN/AtLarge related issues on their website, collecting opinions and
voices to these issues from their members, we are dealing, privacy/whois,
sitefinder/Verisign, etc?

SR :: Yes! From LAC I can give you two examples: Alfa Redi & Internauta are
working on this regards. Eric's organization runs a wide mailing list in
wich several matters are being discuss. Internauta is working in the IDNs
issue, more specifically regarding the inclusion of Ñ. Internauta did
provide some imput on this and on XXX (I forwarded their mail to the list a
couple of months ago). Other organizations, like AGEIA DENSI have contacted
me once we certified them to explore a good way to work together.

There are some which are represented by a single representative, like myself
on behalf of Internet Users Network, but this is not active at all to tell
you the truth. Similarly, I don't see most ISOC chapters in proactive
participation either.

Other than a few at the most, there are little tangible activities we can
trace, and I think we should be honest about our limitations.

SR :: Sure. And we need to learn how to address them instead of try to
change the model.

That does not mean that we have to deny everything, not. But I thinks we
should face our factual achivements/limitations and try to come up with
improvements as agressively as possible. Trying to accommodating individuals
who are not affiliated in any existing ALSs is one way, making more active
online discussions in public is another.

SR :: I strongly support these two ideas.

But I don't think we can claim a great success either. Let's forget about
that kind of dichotomy, and rather than only making self-review ourselves,
we also better to listen to others observations, too.

SR :: Those are two separate issues. Let's go step by step.

Thus I think it's time for us to think deep and bold, and open to
constructive criticisms, too.

izumi