ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Discussions on the current model

  • To: "'ALAC - interim'" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Discussions on the current model
  • From: Izumi AIZU <aizu@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:45:53 +0900

Dear all,

I very much echo with what Wendy wrote and observed below.

I do not want to impose or insist that we "faield" - as completely.

But at the same time, we could see we did not succeed in establishing
the RALOs within three years, that is a fact, right? And I do not see
any ALSs certified so far has been that much active at all.

For example, could you name which one, if any, is that active, putting
ICANN/AtLarge related issues on their website, collecting opinions
and voices to these issues from their members, we are dealing, privacy/whois, sitefinder/Verisign, etc?

There are some which are represented by a single representative, like
myself on behalf of Internet Users Network, but this is not active
at all to tell you the truth. Similarly, I don't see most ISOC chapters in
proactive participation either.

Other than a few at the most, there are little tangible activities
we can trace, and I think we should be honest about our
limitations.

That does not mean that we have to deny everything, not. But I thinks we
should face our factual achivements/limitations and try to come up with
improvements as agressively as possible. Trying to accommodating
individuals who are not affiliated in any existing ALSs is one way, making
more active online discussions in public is another.

But I don't think we can claim a great success either. Let's forget
about that kind of dichotomy, and rather than only making self-review
ourselves, we also better to listen to others observations, too.

Thus I think it's time for us to think deep and bold, and open
to constructive criticisms, too.

izumi