ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Timeline for new gTLD Policy Process

  • To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Timeline for new gTLD Policy Process
  • From: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:50:59 -0800

Below are the timelines mandated by the ICANN Bylaws for the new gTLD policy process.
(Bylaw: http://icann.org/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-08apr05.htm#AnnexA)
I don't know if we've done one of these in the last year, so this process may be new to many of you. The process has two public comment periods, one at the beginning and another at the end. The first comment period, on the questions we discussed in Luxembourg, has now begun and will end on 9 January 2005. After the comments are received, ICANN Staff and the GNSO Council will try to identify areas of consensus and areas for more discussion and present another paper for comment. We will want to develop our own paper with input from the ALSs during these public comment periods.

I believe an announcement on the new public comment period will be forthcoming in the next day or two. I would recommend sending it to all of the ALSs and soliciting their comments.

Bret

-----------------
Important Dates:

Beginning of public comment period following notification of the initiation of the PDP.
Public comment period includes GNSO Public Forum in Vancouver on Friday 2nd December

End of public comment period on launch of PDP

8 December – 9 January 2006
Call for constituency statements

Submission by staff of Preliminary Task Force Report to Task Force.

Task Force vote on Preliminary Task Force Report.

Publication of Preliminary Task Force Report for public comments

Conclusion of public comment period

Submission of Final Task Force Report to GNSO Council

GNSO Council meeting to discuss the report and work toward achieving a supermajority vote to present to the Board.