ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] GAO Report on Domain Names

  • To: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] GAO Report on Domain Names
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:31:26 -0500

Fascinating. The GAO seems to have no concept a) that domain names might be used for other than web content and b) that there might be legitimate reasons for someone preferring to keep contact information out of the WHOIS. To issue a 50-page report on inaccuracies without even mentioning the privacy concerns that publication of "accurate" data might cause suggests that the investigators never got very far into the questions on which they were asked to report.

I would therefore caution against trying to draw anything beyond numbers from this report, i.e., not to put any weight on the investigators' clear policy preference for the enforcement of WHOIS accuracy.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
--Wendy