ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] The Ombudsman and the world

  • To: Jean Armour Polly <mom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] The Ombudsman and the world
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 18:52:47 +0100

Jean Armour Polly ha scritto:
Good report, Vittorio. What would be a better international word than ombudsman, which I agree has overtones that are confusing? The thought we're going for is "impartial fact finder." Maybe we should recommend they just say that??

In Italy most institutions opted for "difensore civico" (civic defender) to stress the role of acting on behalf of citizens who need to be protected against bureaucracy and complex processes.
Perhaps what ICANN would need is a short sentence or catchy graphics in the home page in the "Sebastian" marketing style, such as "do you have complaints to make to ICANN?". I understand that this kind of exposure would possibly raise the number of complaints, which might be why it's not being done :-/
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...