ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] regional, cultural, city TLDs

  • To: "'ALAC'" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] regional, cultural, city TLDs
  • From: "Sebastian Ricciardi" <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:25:00 -0300

Thanks Bret,

Without doubts, several groups of people will start asking for their own
identifier. And they should be entitled to ask for it , indeed!!!

Why should ICANN grants the registry business to some guys promoting .AERO
(and other sponsored TLDs) and not for those who think their special
interest deserve a new gTLD! Specially when we have cultural and national
concerns (please note that I´m using the word national as was previosly
discussed).

The situation is worst as Anette noticed a few months a go, when ICANN
approves the use of a VERY generic term like .JOBS as a sponsored and
restricted domain.

What are we afraid of? The registry loosing its business? Can´t they be
forced by contract to respect some good practices and audit the registries
every 6 months? And if one of them get out of business, can´t ICANN move
those registration to another registry operator? I´m sure that the entrant
companies like Afilias or anyone else would love to receive registration
form those operators that run out of business.

I still don´t understand how the existence of several gTLDs goes against the
security and stability of the Net.

Best,

Sebastian