ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Selecting Our Successors

  • To: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Selecting Our Successors
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:09:40 +0100

Il giorno mer, 25/01/2006 alle 16.01 -0800, Bret Fausett ha scritto:
> I've been giving some thought to the creation of the RALOs and how they
> will select our successors. After a lot of consideration, I've come to
> the conclusion that "voting" will create levels of complexity and
> bureaucracy that will be detrimental to the RALO-ALAC effort. The
> problem of how to weight and count votes of different organizations,
> with differing membership structures, while preventing capture of the
> regional ALAC seats, is not easily solvable. I can't think of any
> light-weight, objective mechanism for addressing the problems with votes.

I think that there are pros and cons with your proposal - for example, I
don't particularly like the NomCom mechanism, and I don't like the idea
of giving ICANN (more) control of who gets into the ALAC; actually, we
were even told that in the long term the five NomCom-appointed ALAC
members could be changed into RALO-appointed members as well.

In any case, I think that it is up to participants in each Region to
decide what they want to do... In the mechanism we envisage for the
EURALO the "EURALO Council" is de facto going to become a sort of
NomCom; the only foreseeable activity for the EURALO would be appointing
the two ALAC members, and, as you point out, it would be better if
representatives of the ALSes (and of individuals!) could agree without
need for voting. If that doesn't happen, I still think it's better to
have a vote among At Large representatives, rather than inside ICANN's
NomCom. But this might be different for other people.