ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Selecting Our Successors

  • To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Selecting Our Successors
  • From: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:25:56 -0800

I think that there are pros and cons with your proposal....

I'm glad the proposal prompted a discussion on these issues. I wanted to get it out now because I was aware that Europe and Asia-Pacific are moving forward first and they might set some "precedent" for the rest of us to follow.

Izumi and Vittorio are correct, of course, that what works for one region might not be right for another region. Personally, I share a lot of Wendy's skepticism that the layers of structures built into the ALAC model dilute the value of participation to the point that ALSs might well wonder why they should be involved at all. I'm not sure what a "Council" at the RALO level will do, other than elect ALAC members and be a conduit for information to and from the ALAC, but if the European ALSs think it would be valuable, then we should defer to that.

Siavash made the good point that anything we try, whether the proposal I floated or the "Council" model, ought to be viewed as experimental, and we can change the model if it proves not to work.

         Bret