ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Revision of internal positions

  • To: "ALAC" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Revision of internal positions
  • From: shahshah@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:36:16 +0330 (IRST)

Vittorio,
Assuming this [Chair+2ViceChairs] formula is now accepted(it wasn't my
favorite, but I can live with it), let us not risk possible lack of public
harmony by electing independent candidates to these positions. After all,
the Chair should still be the public face of the Committee and you would
not want public quarrels between the Chair and one of the Vice Chairs. I
propose we adopt one of the following methods:
Method 1. We first choose a Chair. The the Chair will nominate one or more
candidates he/she has come to an understanding with for each Vice Chair
position. The Committee then votes for the Vice Chairs.
Method 2. You ask for nominations for 3-member teams(with specified
positions). Then the Committee members vote for the team they prefer. It
should be understood that the team members have reached an understanding
among themselves on how they're going to work together.
I'm personally inclined toward Method 1, but I'd like to hear other opinions.
Best,
Siavash

> All,
>
> I'm trying to sum up our discussion on a revision of our internal
> positions (and to accommodate my desire to step down...). I would like
> to push the process forward and ensure that we pick new officers by the
> Wellington meeting.
>
> I assume that we could proceed with one Chair plus two vice Chairs, one
> responsible for outreach and the other one for policy. I've seen other
> proposals, but I don't think that there are really deep differences and
> this one seemed to be the favourite. In any case, object now if you
> can't live with this.
>
> Also, I would then call for (self-)nominations for the three positions,
> let's say by March 6th. This would give us sufficient time to discuss
> candidacies and hold an online vote before Wellington. As there might be
> people volunteering for one of the "vice" positions only, I would not
> give them to the losing candidates for Chair (if any), but I would
> recommend three separate nomination processes for the three positions,
> and people could volunteer for more than one.
>
> Objections and suggestions welcome; if I don't get any by the end of
> this week, I will proceed as stated.
> --
> vb.             [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
> http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Prima o poi...

IPM/IRNIC
P.O.Box 19395-1795, Shahid Bahonar Sq.
Tehran 19548, Iran
Phone: (+98 21) 22 82 80 80, 22 29 03 06
Cell: (+98 912)104 2501
Fax: (+98 21) 22 29 57 00
Email: shahshah@xxxxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxxxxx