ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] VeriSign Statement

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] VeriSign Statement
  • From: Annette Muehlberg <Annette.Muehlberg@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:47:17 +0100

It is nice, that after all the procedural stuff, we are back to work.

I think we all agree that we need a statement on the VeriSign issue.  I talked
with Bret about it and this is our proposal. Maybe we should add some more
issues we are criticising or just keep it short and clear. What do you think?

Draft for a Statement on VeriSign contract:
The At Large Advisory Committee is disappointed that the ICANN Board has
approved the proposed agreement for the operation of the .COM registry with
Verisign in spite of the near unanimous stakeholder opposition to it. The
approval creates the appearance that the ICANN Board has placed its
self-interest in expanded revenue ahead of the interests of domain name
registrants. We invite the Board to reconsider its decision and take all
necessary steps to ensure that ICANN fulfills its mission of bringing a
competitive environment to the registration of domain names.

Best
Annette