ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Africa Position Paper on Internet growth through content

  • To: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Africa Position Paper on Internet growth through content
  • From: shahshah@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 17:44:17 +0330 (IRST)

Well it isn't so clear that a statistical study was done. This seems to be
a call by African ISPs for what they consider important. They may be
advocating more use of Internet for educating and informing, or a call for
'content' may just mean a desire for more 'bandwidth'. Further, because so
much of email is web-based, it is hard to differentiate.
Siavash
>> Primarily their interest is driven by the value of content
>> that they locate which is relevant to their lives and business.
>
> That's surprising.  Here in the U.S., despite the myth that "content is
> king" the reality is that what people are willing to pay for is person to
> person communication.  See, for example
> http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue6_2/odlyzko/
>
> Regards,
> John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
> Dummies",
> Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
> "I dropped the toothpaste", said Tom, crestfallenly.

IPM/IRNIC
P.O.Box 19395-1795, Shahid Bahonar Sq.
Tehran 19548, Iran
Phone: (+98 21) 22 82 80 80, 22 29 03 06
Cell: (+98 912)104 2501
Fax: (+98 21) 22 29 57 00
Email: shahshah@xxxxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxxxxx