ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] RALO Roadmap 2006

  • To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] RALO Roadmap 2006
  • From: Annette Muehlberg <annette.muehlberg@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:31:36 +0200

All,

FYI. I drafted a RALO Roadmap 2006 which all european ALAC members in principle agreed on (one location is not clarified yet).

As soon as all organisational stuff is clarified, I will invite the european ALSes and others interested to a first preperatory EU-RALO meeting in May 2006.

I just received a proposal for a Latin American RALO Workshop/Launch (November 2006) which will be included.

All the best

Annette Muehlberg

ALAC Chair
------

Draft:

RALO Roadmap 2006

after years of discussion, ALAC wants to move forward now and start with the
actual building of RALOs. Even if we are not yet satisfied with the number
of accredited ALSs, we think that we have a minimum of critical mass so that
we are in a position to move to a concrete planning phase, at least for the
Asian Pacific Region and the European Region.

After discussion with the members of the ALAC, I would like to launch
something like an "ICANN RALO Roadmap 2006". The aim is to have two concrete
proposals for/respectively actually built RALOs until the end of the year
(ICANNs Sao Paulo Meeting) and two drafts for a MoU for the two above
mentioned RALOs for consideration by the ICANN Board.

Key milestones of the Roadmap are:

* European Preparatory Meeting (end of May 2006 in Frankfurt)

* RALO Workshop during the ICANN meeting in Marrakesh (June 2006)

* Asian Pacific RALO Workshop/Launch (N.N.)

* European RALO Workshop (September 2006)

* European RALO Launch (during the IGF in Athens, October 2006)

* proposal for MoU (December 2006)

All these activities need some facilitation, which we would like ICANN to support. Support includes that main costs have to be covered by ICANN (including meeting venue, coffee breaks, lunches, accomodation and travel for key participants, Telephone conferences /next week already for Asia?)

The European Preparatory Meeting is planned now for May, 28, 2006 in
Frankfurt (probably up to 20 people representing ALSes in Europe).
Arrival either in combination with a cheap flight (special fare
saturday/sunday with one night stay) or by train. Begin: 12 am, end 5 pm.
Location near the main train station. I will organize a room for 20 persons.

The RALO Workshop during the ICANN Meeting Marrakech 25th - 30th of June
needs some more detailed discussion. Question is how many ALS will be
invited.

The European RALO Workshop to prepare the establishment of EURALO (planned
for Athens) is now scheduled for Sunday, September, 17, in Berlin, linked to
an international Internet conference (Wizards of OS 4, Information Freedom
Rules). Many members of European ALSes will attend this conference which
already ends on saturday to give people like us time to come together and
have a meeting on sunday. Good chance to address other European and
international folks to get involved in ICANN work in the interest of
individual internet users. The meeting would be again one day: (Begin 12 am,
end 5 pm. Location at conference center, reservation already made (needs to
be confirmed within 10 days). Arrival either to the conference (without
paying for night stay) or right on sunday morning, departure sunday evening.
20 to 30 people.

The EU-RALO founding meeting in Athens at the IGF could be October, 29th or
30th. At the Internet Governance Forum we will have a big chance for
outreach and getting those people involved who are already working on
Internet Governance and Internet consumer right issues. Press work is
relatively easy as Media will be there already. Connecting RALO meetings
with other internet consumer right events increases the chance not to
develop too many parallel activities and get people involved in ICANN.
Travel expenses will have to include flight and at least one night stay.
About 25 people, price has to be estimated. Date, time and room have to be
determined.

Before I move forward with details (including budgets) I want to get a green
light for the principle approach. The budget for the fiscal year
2006-2007 still needs to be planned by the budget committee and approved by
the ALAC.

Kind regards,

Annette Mühlberg
ALAC Chair