ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Welcome letter to new ALSes

  • To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>, "ALAC (Internal)" <alac-admin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Welcome letter to new ALSes
  • From: Annette Muehlberg <annette.muehlberg@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:43:46 +0200

Dear Denise,

thank you for sending me the draft of an ALS Welcome Letter.

I made some corrections concerning the website. By now, ALAC has a new website and new RALOs will have to decide how they will run their website.

The translation issue is too much of a burden, we should not right at the start ask for volunteers on translation but rather offer some. So I took that out and changed the old ALAC website url to the new one. But I am not quite sure if the context is always the same (see below).

All,
In a whole I think, ICANN and ALAC should rather offer and explain. Most ALSes have not much insight in this whole ICANN business, but are willing to offer their knowledge and working capacity on certain ICANN/ALAC issues. We have to show and offer ways to participate in policy development processes etc.

So, I am not too happy with the existing letter, I think there should be much more explanation and ways shown how to participate in ICANN. What are the issues at stake etc.

Also, do we really need all these different email-lists?
<als-discuss@xxxxxxxxx>
<http://forum.icann.org/alac-forum/> This forum is not really attractive, it looks like half of it is spam. someone should at least look after it.

And why do we not at least invite the ALSes to take part in the public ALAC mailing list? That should be, apart from our website, our central communication tool.

Best
Annette

---
Draft
---
Welcome to ICANN At-Large! ICANN’s Interim At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) reviewed your organization’s application for “At-Large Structure” (ALS) certification and determined that the criteria for ALS certification has been met. The ALAC is pleased to inform you that ...... has been certified as an “At-Large Structure.”

The purpose of ALS certification is to recognize that your organization meets the necessary criteria to involve individual Internet users at the local or issue level in ICANN activities, and that your organization will support its individual members' informed participation in one or more ICANN efforts that affect end-users.

The ALAC and At-Large Structure certification are relatively new endeavors for ICANN. We want to promote a productive working relationship between your organization and the ALAC (and ICANN in general), and your input on how we can make this a success would be greatly appreciated.

We would like to offer some initial tools to help your organization keep its members informed (about significant news from ICANN and information on ICANN policy-development efforts) and engaged in activities of interest:

* ALS email list. An email discussion list has been created to specifically support At-Large Structures’ involvement and development. <als-discuss@xxxxxxxxx> is an email list comprising ALAC members and key representatives of each ALS. Please send an email to michel@xxxxxxxxx identifying the names and email addresses of a couple of individuals who will participate from your organization.

* ALS webpage. Your organization will be listed on the ALAC website (<www.icannalac.org>) as an "At-Large Structure." We can include a link to your organization's website, or we can post a webpage about your organization, to share information about your group, enable individuals interested in your group’s activities to contact you, and to encourage cooperation with other groups interested in ICANN activities in your geographic region. Please complete and email the attached template to michel@xxxxxxxxx if you would like a webpage on your group added to the At-Large website.

* ALS logo. You will receive in a separate email a jpeg image for your organization to use on its website to indicate its certification as an ALS. We suggest the logo be linked to <www.icannalac.org> to provide more information about ICANN At-Large.

* At-Large website. The At-Large website (<www.icannalac.org>) is a good source for ICANN news and information of interest to individual Internet users. We encourage you to provide your members with a link.

* Public Comment Forum. The At-Large website also features a comment forum (<http://forum.icann.org/alac-forum/>) to encourage interested Internet users and their organizations to communicate online with each other, and with the ALAC, about pending ICANN issues and activities of importance to the At-Large community. Please encourage your members to use it.