ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] General Manager Public Participation

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] General Manager Public Participation
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:46:01 +0000

I thought that the intention of ICANN to strngthen the organization also with hiring key staff was known. It came out anyway during the discussions on the budget, in several occasions, months ago.
So, no "hidden" reform process, but a well-known growth policy. Of course, there is some opposition to this "fattening" of ICANN, and that was also expressed during the budget discussions, but what was approved by the Board is a strengthening of the organization, as I said before.
To the specific ALAC situation, two comments.
1. I have asked explanation on how ICANN thinks to replace the part of Denise's job that is not covered by her new assignment. I think that the answer that I am going to get is that we will have the support of the staff assigned to the regions (for instance, Giovanni Seppia for Europe), but I can be more precise in the next days
2. ICANN considers ALAC not an end to itself, but a means to coordinate the support of the individual users. In this sense, the coordination will be not only a wish, but a necessity.

Personally, I consider reasonable that in a period of growth the organization starts to consolidate the top management, and then proceeds down, in order to have the appointed managers participating in the selection of their subordinates. What I am less comfortable with, is the fact that such growth relies on increased income. As of today, the income flow is not 100% sure. But isn't this the case also for commercial organizations, who rely on future sales to fund the salaries of the staff?

Anyway, congratulations to Denise.

Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC