ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Fwd: Take a Stand on Internet Governance!

  • To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Fwd: Take a Stand on Internet Governance!
  • From: Izumi AIZU <aizu@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:09:58 +0900

Should ALAC also make any public comment on ICANN/NTIA
supervision?  Or, shall we use the same statement with IGP?

Either way, if we can, I think that will be great.

izumi

IGP Info wrote:
Internet Governance Project News Announcement
Take a Stand on Internet Governance!
In advance of renewing the current agreement between the U.S. Department of Commerce and ICANN, the U.S. government's National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) has asked for public comments about its supervision of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
This is an important opportunity for public participation in the reform of ICANN and Internet governance. We urge everyone to let your opinion of how ICANN is working and how it can be improved be known. Comments are due by July 7.
The Internet Governance Project is focusing public attention on the Bush administration's controversial and divisive assertion of unilateral control over the DNS root. IGP is urging Internet users everywhere to respond to the NTIA request for comments with the following statement:
<statement>
The Internet's value is created by the participation and cooperation of people all over the world. The Internet is global, not national. Therefore no single Government should have a pre-eminent role in Internet governance.
As the US reviews its contract with ICANN, it should work cooperatively with all stakeholders to complete the transition to a Domain Name System independent of US governmental control.
</statement>
You can transmit this statement directly to the NTIA and key Congressional committee chairs. Just visit http://internetgovernance.org/comment.asp
Join this global campaign today!