ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] ALERT: What is WHOIS really fpr

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] ALERT: What is WHOIS really fpr
  • From: Jean Armour Polly <mom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:10:36 -0400

I agree with both of you and I like the idea of seeing who has accessed your whois data, Bret. As long as THAT isn't anonymized. :-)

At 11:00 AM +0000 6/23/06, Roberto Gaetano recently said:
I fully agree with Bret, the solution is not a plain YES or NO, is rather on how we put a reasonable system in place that takes into account all stakeholders.

Quite a while ago, I believe it was in Tunis, but I might be wrong, I made the example of car licence plates. The file is accessible for law enforcement and any other legal reasons, but data is not publicly available.

Another item I raised in the same meeting was who is benefitting and who is paying. Intellectual Property lawyers would like to use the Whois to check IP violations, but the registrars or registry, depending on the model, has to offer this service for free. It is like if a large multinational corporation would force all national car licence plates registries to offer free access to the corporation to search whether any of the local affiliates own cars.

Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison