ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [alac] ALERT: What is WHOIS really fpr

• To: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] ALERT: What is WHOIS really fpr
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:10:36 -0400

I agree with both of you and I like the idea of seeing who has accessed your whois data, Bret. As long as THAT isn't anonymized. :-)

At 11:00 AM +0000 6/23/06, Roberto Gaetano recently said:
I fully agree with Bret, the solution is not a plain YES or NO, is rather on how we put a reasonable system in place that takes into account all stakeholders.

Quite a while ago, I believe it was in Tunis, but I might be wrong, I made the example of car licence plates. The file is accessible for law enforcement and any other legal reasons, but data is not publicly available.

Another item I raised in the same meeting was who is benefitting and who is paying. Intellectual Property lawyers would like to use the Whois to check IP violations, but the registrars or registry, depending on the model, has to offer this service for free. It is like if a large multinational corporation would force all national car licence plates registries to offer free access to the corporation to search whether any of the local affiliates own cars.

Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison

To: "'John M Levine'" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>, "'Annette Muehlberg'" <annette.muehlberg@xxxxxx>
CC: "'ALAC'" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [alac] ALERT: What is WHOIS really fpr
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:59:10 -0700

I can tell you from personal experience that WHOIS
 info, even in its current rather imperfect form, is very
 useful when tracking them down.

You're right that whois has some practical uses in law enforcement, etc. At the same time, the required public disclosure of identity information also has some privacy implications. At the end of the day, we're still going to have to make a judgment call about whether the benefits of public whois data outweigh the privacy consequences.

The proposal I like is the "tiered access" model. The concept is that
personal data is unavailable to the general public via simple whois queries
but available to law enforcement, ISPs, lawyers, etc. who sign up for
special access. Another idea I like is a system that would allow the
registrant to review his/her own whois data to see who has accessed the
'second-tiered' information. This seems like a decent compromise, or at
least as close to a middle ground as we're likely to see.

Bret

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy