ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] ALERT: What is WHOIS really fpr

  • To: "'Jean Armour Polly'" <mom@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Roberto Gaetano'" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] ALERT: What is WHOIS really fpr
  • From: "Bret Fausett" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:55:27 -0700

> I agree with both of you and I like the idea of seeing who
> has accessed your whois data, Bret. As long as THAT isn't
> anonymized. :-)

I think I first heard this idea from Esther. The concept is that when users
are aware of who has their data, they can better protect themselves. Makes
sense. I like the idea that people who access my data leave footprints
behind, especially in a tiered model where the access is only made possible
by a claim of some legal right.

One of the technical problems is that some of these "tiered access" and
"footprint" models may work only for a web-based whois system, and, as
Roberto points out, changing the nature of the service will add costs to
registrar and/or registry operations. Who pays?

         Bret