ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] ALERT: What is WHOIS really fpr

  • To: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] ALERT: What is WHOIS really fpr
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 04:37:19 -0400 (EDT)

One of the technical problems is that some of these "tiered access" and
"footprint" models may work only for a web-based whois system, and,

Actually, it'll only work until data brokers start fronting for the actual parties, which I expect will take, oh, 15 minutes to happen?

Roberto points out, changing the nature of the service will add costs to
registrar and/or registry operations. Who pays?

It would be out of character for ICANN to worry about that. Who pays for domain tasting?

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor