ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] About Regions

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] About Regions
  • From: shahshah@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:22:54 +0330 (IRST)

I'm sitting in ccNSO meeting now. The present discussion is about IDNs. Do
you know when they'll discuss regions? My position is that ultimatly the
entire old world area of Asia/Pacific, Europe and Africa has to be divided
into five regions: non-Arab Africa, Arab Africa+ Arab countries, Europe,
West and Central Asia, Pacific. The line between Europe and West-Central
Asia could be drawn on a voluntary basis by the countries involved. At
this point, this division would not be viable. The best present position
would be to divide along LIR lines.
I also think that Jacqueline's sugestion yesterday is very much worth
considering in the long run. Internet need not respect geographic
divisions.
Oh, the rehional discussion just started!
Siavash

> I would be interested to hear Siavash' position on this, as a member of
> CENTR but located in AP.
>
> Roberto GAETANO
> ALAC
> ICANN BoD Liaison
>

>>From: Erick Iriarte Ahon <faia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
>>Subject: [alac] About Regions
>>Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 05:53:38 -0500
>>
>>Hi
>>
>>In the ccNSO meeting today they will have this point:
>>
>>ICANN Regions ?
>>how do the current regional designations affect ccTLDs?
>>should there be more regions and/or more choice about which regions a
>> ccTLD
>>'belongs' to?
>>Should the ccNSO consider running a PDP on this?
>>
>>http://www.icann.org/meetings/marrakech/ccnso-agenda.html#day1
>>
>>I think could be interesting listen the vision of the cctlds about that.
>>
>>Erick

> On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to

IPM/IRNIC
P.O.Box 19395-5564, Shahid Bahonar Sq.
Tehran 19548, Iran
Phone: (+98 21) 22 82 80 80; 82 80 81, ext 113
Cell: (+98 912)104 2501
Fax: (+98 21) 22 29 57 00
Email: shahshah@xxxxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxxxxx