ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] DRAFT ALAC Statement on Whois

  • To: "Bret Fausett" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] DRAFT ALAC Statement on Whois
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:39:02 -0400

Thanks, but no thanks.

I believe that we are best served by letting the Task Force continue its work without additional attempts from ICANN to interfere with it until its process finishes. Statements from outside groups on both sides of the issue can continue to inform the work (and won't stop anyhow), but a formal statement from ALAC seems premature.

Further, and in specific disagreement with the substance, I believe privacy is a right, not just another market commodity. While I support any privacy services registrars may choose to offer (and I would oppose any rule that prohibited them), I do not think registrants should have to rely on these -- especially as many registrants do not realize they need privacy protection because they do not realize they lack it in the first place.

--Wendy