ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] RE: [council] Request for issues report from ALAC

  • To: "'Bret Fausett'" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] RE: [council] Request for issues report from ALAC
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:31:17 -0000

Please tell me if I have missed something.

The facts that I recall are the following:
- there has been the launch of a workshop on different issues related to
domain names market, including domain name tasting
- there has been some confusion about ALAC participation, due also to the
fact that I have been offline for events beyond my control, and did not
answer a nominative request
- there has been a discussion on the matter, during which somebody (I can't
remember if John or Wendy) has proposed a PDP on grace period & domain name
tasting
- I have replied verbatim:
"I have mixed feelings about this PDP.
We had extensive discussion in the Board about the whole matter of grace
period, and we came to the conclusion that even if the system seems
obviously wrong, it is not at all clear whether the registry, who seems to
suffer more, does not even end up in having benefits from it.
I believe that we should see what comes up in the round table."
- nobody else, to my recollection, picked up the subject of the PDP

Here's my question:
How comes that the proposal from one or two individuals becomes the
consensus position of ALAC without further discussion, and translates in an
official request from ALAC to a Supporting Organization?

As I do not have access to the GNSO Council mailing list, may I kindly
request Bruce to forward this message to the appropriate recipients.

Best regards,
Roberto Gaetano
ALAC
ICANN Board Liaison