ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] DRAFT Request for Issues Report

  • To: <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] DRAFT Request for Issues Report
  • From: Jean Armour Polly <mom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 16:57:45 -0400

Hi, let's talk about this on the public list--after the Domain Name Monetization workshop in Marrakech, I brought up a proposal to ask staff for an issues report on "domain name tasting." (For background, see
http://icannwiki.org/Domain_tasting
and
http://icannwiki.org/Parked_Domain_Monetization )
I remember the discussion -- Jacqueline asked if asking for an issues report automatically means a PDP would follow. The answer was no. I specifically asked if everyone was agreed that ALAC wanted to move forward with asking for an issues report. There was absolutely no voiced opposition, at all, but on the other hand a formal vote was not taken to approve it, either. Since ALAC has never asked for an issues study before, we were all unclear as to the process. It was left that Annette would ask Bruce to find out what the process is and that we would return to it.

As we all know, ALAC's mission is to form RALOs and to advise on policy. While we've been busy working on the former, here's a chance to be more proactive on the latter. Domain Name Tasting is an example of that-- but we need some answers to some questions before we can make an informed recommendation. Asking for an issues report is a way to get those answers.

In the domain name monetization workshop we found out that LESS THAN 5% of .com names are kept past the free 5 day add-grace float period. I wonder if this affects the stability and security of the Internet in any way. (In fact I wonder if we'd be able to see more new gTLDs if the add-grace practice (and its resulting traffic) were stopped.)

Also, have you noticed that more often than not, sites that rise to the top of a Google search (for example) are really nothing more than "ad farms" that offer no content except for ads about the search terms typed by the end user. I would like to know how end users feel about this-- do they enjoy the opportunity to click on targeted ads, or do they feel that their time is being wasted by having to sift through these "junk sites" in order to find sites that will really be of interest to them?

ALAC is really the only voice of the end-user in ICANN. I would like to see us get more involved in things that affect the individual end-user. Clearly, domain name tasting is one of those things. Many registrars love this practice because it makes them a lot of money. Some, like GoDaddy, feel it is an abuse of the add-grace system. An issues report from staff may help us sort it all out.

Now that we know the process, our chair may choose to call a vote on asking for an issues report on this topic. I believe it is of vital importance to end-users--although I am also quite sure that most of them have no idea what is taking place! Here is a chance for ALAC to shine and show that it really is looking out for end-users by asking ICANN to investigate the matter.

Jean Armour Polly