ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [alac] FW: [council] Final IDN Issues Report

• To: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] FW: [council] Final IDN Issues Report
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:22:20 +0200

Bret, what would you recommend, what are the most efficient and effective steps for us?
best
annette

Hong Xue wrote:

Siavash: >
> But there is no specific call on GNSO to consult ALAC(though this is not
> specically excluded either). Note the following quotes:
>
> "It is recommended that the GNSO launch a focused policy development
> process, in close consultation with the ccNSO and the broader ICANN
> community including the Government Advisory Committee (on the public
> policy aspects).
> ...
These were from the "old" issue paper, which specifically referred to the GAC with respect to public policy aspects in the GNSO IDN PDP consultation but did not even mention the ALAC. In our Marrakech meeting, I urgently asked Bret, who took pains to join the GNSO Councile Meeting online, to raise this issue specifically. As a result, I was added to the GNSO IDN-list, but still not a member of the GNSO IDN task force. > So, how should we proceed at ALAC? Should we work on a position paper on
> some issues where we think end-user interests are involved and submit it
> to GNSO?
I've already drafted a document and send to the list--ooh, the admin-list. Siavash made the good suggestions and offerred to edit it further. Now, we can work on this and then send it to the GNSO as well as the IDN Committee. Roberto:
>You know already my opinion: to me the IDN matter is far more important for
>end users than other issues, like for instance the domain tasting, and
>therefore requires full attention.

Indeed, we'd take action sooner rather than later.
Hong

On 7/16/06, *Roberto Gaetano* <roberto@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:roberto@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

You know already my opinion: to me the IDN matter is far more
    important for
    end users than other issues, like for instance the domain tasting,
    and
    therefore requires full attention.
    Regards,
    Roberto Gaetano
    ALAC
    ICANN Board Liaison

> -----Original Message----- > From: owner-alac@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:owner-alac@xxxxxxxxx> [mailto: owner-alac@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:owner-alac@xxxxxxxxx>] On > Behalf Of shahshah@xxxxxxxx <mailto:shahshah@xxxxxxxx> > Sent: 16 July 2006 08:46 > To: Bret Fausett > Cc: alac@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:alac@xxxxxxxxx> > Subject: Re: [alac] FW: [council] Final IDN Issues Report > > I hope everyone reads the Report. It acknowledges that the > end-users have something at stake in this matter in the following: > > " How could an introduction of internationalized equivalents > of existing TLDs best promote competition and choice for end-users? " > > But there is no specific call on GNSO to consult ALAC(though > this is not specically excluded either). Note the following quotes: > > "It is recommended that the GNSO launch a focused policy > development process, in close consultation with the ccNSO and > the broader ICANN community including the Government Advisory > Committee (on the public policy aspects). > ... > It follows that the issues listed in this report are of a > broad nature, reaching beyond the remit of the GNSO and > calling for necessary expert advice from other ICANN entities > such as the ccNSO, the GAC, and the President's Advisory > Committee for IDNs." > > So, how should we proceed at ALAC? Should we work on a > position paper on some issues where we think end-user > interests are involved and submit it to GNSO? Should we task > our liaison officer with GNSO to address and emphasize > certain issues that we identify? Should we ask to have a > specific representative at such discussions? Earlier Brett > asked for volunteers from ALAC to participate in a focused > committee work. What came of that? > > Siavash > > > Use this one instead. > > > > Bret > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > [mailto: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>] > > On > > Behalf Of Denise Michel > > Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:52 PM > > To: GNSO Council > > Subject: [council] Final IDN Issues Report > > > > Hello All. > > > > Please disregard the IDN Issues Report attached to the > previous email. > > The attached IDN Issues Report should be considered > "final," and will > > be posted on the website and discussed at the next Council meeting. > > > > This version includes the final General Counsel's opinion. I > > apologize for any confusion this may have caused. > > > > Regards. > > > > Denise > > > > Denise Michel > > Vice President, Policy Development > > ICANN > > denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx> > > +1-408-404-8400 direct > > +1-408-429-3072 mobile > > > > > > > > > ************************************************* > IPM/IRNIC > P.O.Box 19395-5564, Shahid Bahonar Sq. > Tehran 19548, Iran > Phone: (+98 21) 22 82 80 80; 82 80 81, ext 113 > Cell: (+98 912)104 2501 > Fax: (+98 21) 22 29 57 00 > Email: shahshah@xxxxxxxx <mailto:shahshah@xxxxxxxx>, shahshah@xxxxxx <mailto:shahshah@xxxxxx>, shahshah@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:shahshah@xxxxxxxxx> > *************************************************

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy