ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] President's Committee on Strategy, and ICANN legitimacy

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] President's Committee on Strategy, and ICANN legitimacy
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:20:06 -0400

In case anyone actually reads the "public" list, I'll take this opportunity to comment that while I am pleased that Pierre Dandjinou will be able to participate in the PSC, I think it shameful that without any further discussion, ALAC's other nominee was not accepted. Unfortunately, I am unsurprised, as this lack of direct feedback and public participation pervades ICANN.

Paul Twomey's explanation that "As [we] know the Committee is designed to be a small but consultative group, and it needs to ensure that additions can be made also from other communities," does not excuse the lack of public representation. The public is not just one element among many Internet stakeholders, it is the citizenry for whose benefit this whole edifice is constructed. If the public is not well represented through more than just special-interest constituencies, the legitimacy of the whole ICANN enterprise is threatened.

The question is, does anyone care?
--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law, Brooklyn Law School