ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Re: FW: [alac-admin] Re: ALAC recommendation for new PSC members

  • To: Bruce Beckwith <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Re: FW: [alac-admin] Re: ALAC recommendation for new PSC members
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:28:48 +0200

Bruce Beckwith ha scritto:
- there were eight members of the PSC already - two more from one interest area would have meant 20% of the committee would have been from one arena - which would not be balanced with other interests and concerns

Come on, the entire committee was composed by either governmental people, or anglosaxon business people. Ours are the first nominees from users and civil society. Even with Pierre, the committee is still very imbalanced in terms of gender, geography and stakeholder groups.

In addition, it is my recommendation that the ALAC view this as a significant positive step in that the group came together quickly, provided well qualified candidates to address a request, and will now have direct feedback on the progress of the PSC.

I accept your point of view, but stay with mine: the PSC still is an unacceptable idea both in terms of (uncertainty over) mission and institutional checks and balances, and of composition.

Specifically, I would have found it better if Twomey had appointed Pierre of his own initiative, without asking us for names to then disregard all but the one that had been put forward initially. At least we could have spared half day of discussion in person, weeks of online discussion, involvement of other people... I sent a good number of emails to various people to ask for names, collected suggestions, exchanged views, came up with proposals to our list... and so did others among us. I don't like to unnecessarily waste my time.

It is my view that this becomes one more success for the ALAC as the group continues its quest to fulfill the mission of providing advice to ICANN on the interests of individual Internet users.

May I ask why the PSC is holding today an online consultation (but only with top-down selected interlocutors):

http://www.icann.org/announcements/psc-agenda.html

but, notwithstanding our huge success, it did not invite our constituency to speak? Actually, I'm quite happy that Danny and Milton have an opportunity to speak (even if they don't like us, they will uphold the user's point of view), but I would have been happier if Annette had been given the same opportunity as well.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...