ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Updated terms of reference for IDN-gTLDs policy development

  • To: Hong Xue <hongxueipr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Updated terms of reference for IDN-gTLDs policy development
  • From: Annette Muehlberg <annette.muehlberg@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 19:02:36 +0200

Hong, both very important points. I guess you can raise the issue also in the President's Committee on IDNs.

Bret, could you give us a gNSO feedback on that and Siavash might keep an eye on it and list it to our issues of policy developments.

Best
Annette

Hong Xue wrote:

Thanks Bret for sending this to our list.

The following points deserve our careful consideration:
"Determining that a proposed new IDN label is adequately
differentiated from a pre-existing label requires comparison in graphic,
phonetic, and semantic terms."
We don't know what was in the mind of those drafters when "Semantic terms" were used. It'd be very unpredictable if it means translations/transliterations of the pre-existing labels. "Be particularly mindful of detail which, although initially
considered in the IDN context, may otherwise be relevant to the New gTLD
PDP."

I hope this does not mean that the IDN PDP will be somewhat linked to the New gTLD PDP, procedurally as well as substantively.
Hong