ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Comment on new gTLDs TOR

  • To: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Comment on new gTLDs TOR
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:32:51 -0400 (EDT)

I object to the TOR 2.15 recommendation: "Applicants must offer a clearly differentiated domain name space with respect to defining the purpose of the application. "

I agree; the experience with the new gTLDs to date shows that attempts to make semantic evaluations of domain applications have not had good results.

If the intention is to prevent typosquatting, they should say so. I would suggest a mechanical rule forbidding applications for domain names that differ from the name of an existing TLD by the addition, deletion, transposition, or substitution of a single letter, unless the application comes with a letter of consent from the existing TLD. I see no reason to tell anyone they can't register .person to compete with .name. Although .biz is in practice a waste of electrons, it hasn't damaged .com or any other domain.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor