ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Comment on new gTLDs TOR

  • To: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Comment on new gTLDs TOR
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:46:47 +0200

John L ha scritto:
I object to the TOR 2.15 recommendation: "Applicants must offer a clearly differentiated domain name space with respect to defining the purpose of the application. "

I agree; the experience with the new gTLDs to date shows that attempts to make semantic evaluations of domain applications have not had good results.

> If the intention is to prevent typosquatting, they should say so.

Support. I would be more comfortable if the recommendation was rewritten to clearly specify the cases in which an application would be unacceptable, rather than those in which would be acceptable; I think that ICANN should regulate on the basis of "everything is allowed except what is explicitly forbidden", rather than the opposite. In this case, I think that only homographs, quasi-homographs and typosquatting attempts should be prohibited; I actually would be happier if it was explicitly said that competition to an existing gTLD with semantic equivalents is encouraged, rather than forbidden.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...