ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Internal rules

  • To: Interim ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Internal rules
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:23:18 +0100

All,

now that Annette is back, I think that we can start the work on our internal procedures for officer selection. I would like to settle the matter in the next few weeks - I think it is better not to drag it too near to the next round of elections.

Before preparing a first draft, I've listed some issues on which I would like to poll you all, so that the first draft can already reflect the consensus (if no suggestions come, I'll go by my own judgement and then we'll start the discussion from it). Here they are:

1. Which positions are there? Chair, two Vice Chairs, liaisons to GNSO, CCNSO, Board; then? Task force members? Should there be consensus / a vote in the Committee to create / accept invitations to send someone in a task force etc? Should all of these be elective / under the purview of the Committee, or some of them be appointed by the Chair at own discretion?

2. When to vote? I've discovered a clause in the Bylaws that requires the Board liaison to be appointed by end October. Do we want to align everything with that? Or all other elections happen at the annual meeting? (consequence of "when" is: do old or new members vote?) Should we keep vice Chairs separate and elect them later, as people might want to serve depending on who is the Chair? How much time do we want between close of nominations and vote? (suggestion, one week)

3. Terms. One year? Two years? One for some, two for others? Generally speaking, the liaisoning work requires some time to catch up, so two years might be better (starting from the next term, so it's not about current terms). And not getting into a situation like the one in Sao Paulo each and every year might be an advantage. Also, should there be the option of a recall vote at any time?

4. Requirements. Should officers be ALAC members? Maybe just some core positions, eg Chair and Vice Chairs? Other requirements, eg past ALAC members?

5. Voting rules. I assume we might want to keep the ones agreed in Sao Paulo, e.g. no proxies but remote vote in a reasonable time window, secret ballots, simple majority, but at least 1/3 of the ALAC voting yes to make the Chair. I guess we need a quorum, e.g. at least 2/3 of the ALAC members casting votes (including abstentions). Suggestions?

6. Ties. In case of ties, do we want an immediate tie-break rule (in Italy, custom is "the older of age wins") or do we want to revote?

7. Black smoke. In case for any reason (no quorum, no candidates, maybe a tie...) there's no valid result, what do we do? Reopen nominations and revote in, say, two weeks?

8. Nominations. Anything goes? Do we require nomination plus second? Do we accept nominations from outside, eg RALOs, or involve them in some way?

Also, do we want to add something about rules of order in general? eg motions, agenda setting etc?

Thanks,