ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[allocationmethods]

Technical Community Advice

  • To: allocationmethods@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Technical Community Advice
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:02:47 -0700 (PDT)

It used to be the case that when technical concerns
were raised, the issue would properly be forwarded to
the technical community for review -- this could mean
either to the IETF, IAB, SSAC or other such group.

In this case, as we seem to have a difference of
opinion between the views expressed by John Klensin,
and the advice tendered by the team of Marc McFadden,
Steve Bellovin, Ram Moham and Cary Karp, wouldn't it
make sense to formally ask the technical community to
weigh in on the discussion?

I ask this question because nowhere in the record of
the subgroup's discussions do I find a reference to a
discussion of the comments and concerns put forward by
John Klensin.  We can't leave this unresolved.