ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[auction-consultation]

New gTLD Evaluation Process Regarding Auctions

  • To: auction-consultation@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: New gTLD Evaluation Process Regarding Auctions
  • From: mdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:49:23 -0500

After reviewing all of the threads thus far on the recent paper outlining the auctions for new gTLDs, I did not see this resource referenced at all: http://www.icann.org/en/topics/gtld-evaluation-process-16jun08.pdf

It is a PDF outlining the potential process for evaluation of new gTLDs. The main area of concern referring to the auction evaluation process is towards the bottom (highlighted in light purple). Between this flow chart and the paper I see the auction being a last resort for ICANN. My understanding is that they will hold preferential treatment for community-based organizations over corporations and wealthy individuals. I see these organizations receiving more TLDs because they can be relied apon to hold an unbiased approach to the development of the TLD.

So, those seeking a new gTLD for sole monetary gain you may never even get a chance to compete in an auction if ICANN has a highly favored community organization looking to advance the greater good of the TLD.

Overall, I agree with the auction approach as the final measure when a community organization can not be found.

Sincerely,

Matthew Diehl
Co-Founder
TLD Managers