ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] Draft GNSO Council letter to the GAC

  • To: George Kirikos <icann@xxxxxxxx>, Liz Williams <lizawilliams@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] Draft GNSO Council letter to the GAC
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:00:43 -0400

I do a good deal of work on externalities in another part of my advisory work
for corporates in the areas of Internet connectivity. I would however, for the
BC, refer you to the commissioned report prepared by a highly respected
economic consulting firm, based in the UK, but with global focus -- Analysys
Mason.  The report, commissioned by AT&T, and prepared by the external
consulting firm, clearly identifies SOME of the externalities.  The externality
of shifted economic implications, burdens of increased monitoring for fraud and
abusive use of domain names, which is impacted by but not limited by trademark
infringements, cannot be misunderstood, or ignored.
I note with concern that ICANN has ignored completely the importance of well
founded economic analysis, choosing instead to buy opinions, which one can
always do, or to cite the few who do want to operate a registry, whether for
non profit or for profit purposes, without doing the due diligence that would
be expected of the "trusted and objective" coordinator and manager of the
unique name space/indicators. Regretfully, increasingly, I see this Board, and
some of staff buying the concept that ICANN is for 'growth and expansion" of
the TLD space, as though that is what a trusted steward of the overall space
would focus on.  I was just at a session with 20 developing countries -- 4 of
them are reviewing their ccTLDs and want to improve the governance. NONE of the
4, although they have awareness of the ICANN 'staff', wanted to start there
with a conversation about what to do. All of them welcomed introductions to
other ccTLD managers who have 'integrity' and worry about fraud and abuse.

Among other things, the BC has stood for security and stability as a priority.
ICANN's role is to manage -- e.g. govern this space. It is continues its
accelerated shift to thinking of itself as 'free market' and 'commercially
driven' it is abdicating the purpose for which it was established, abandoning
the principles that those of us who crafted it and drafted its introductory
bylaws and mission agreed to, across a very diverse core of Internet
stakeholders -- who were, by the way, private sector led, but multi stakeholder
in nature.  And will force the hands of governments to take oversight of some
of its core functions. This is a 'shared space'. Should ICANN not treat it as
such, it will become only a e facto trade association for registries and
registrars, who then want to set the rules for their competition. Customers of
services do not accept that a supplier speaks for their interests.   It will
increase the likelihood of registry failure. It will abandon any safe harbors
it has for non profit status, and anti trust 'shelter'.

And I'll be spending even more time at the ITU and other fora, trying to
prevent intergovernmental takeover. And we will undoubtedly see the gTLD
registry and registrars added to the definition of Internet Intermediary, and
subject to licensing country by country.

Yesterday, I talked to two governments who asked me why they should not add
gTLD registries and registrars to parties subject to entry and  'iicensing
requirements' in their country, describing behaviors that harm their consumers
in their interactions. They described ICANN's failures to take action. They
were familiar with domain name tasting and parking.
The pursuit of an irrationally enthusiastic approach to change in any part of
the DNS is immature and irresponsible for a 'trusted steward' who must look at
all aspects of the eco system that it supports.
Only when the community insists, does ICANN even slowly show signs of
recognition of the need to make changes.
I'm seeing ICANN failing to recognize the yellow signs of caution, " hairpin
turn" ahead road signs.  And ignoring the implications of imposing
externalities on the subsystems is just one of the 'bad indicators', in my view.
In the meantime, for anyone who wants a good read about only some of the
externalities that were identified by the economist from Analyses Mason, you
can find as an attachment to AT&T's posting on the economic 'position papers'
from Dennis Carlton that ICANN commissioned to defend their view that they do
not need to do an economic analysis.
Marilyn Cade