ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

Re[2]: [bc-gnso] Draft GNSO Council letter to the GAC

  • To: George Kirikos <icann@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re[2]: [bc-gnso] Draft GNSO Council letter to the GAC
  • From: Michael Castello <michaelc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 13:11:28 -0700

Could not agree more George. The dot is a very powerful symbol. It
simplifies the distinction to the left; a virtual place, to the right;
the internet or web. Once we start moving that dot around it becomes a
period and from there a misplaced one with less brandability.

In the last 100 years some of the greatest technological creations
succeeded because the public was able to understand and manage them.
The dot com is much like the numerals 0-9 on the phone and television.
Simple and easy to use, the public learned to navigate them and it was
a long term relationship that continues today. The same can be said
for the dot symbol. There is an understanding that has been defined
and learned in the last 20 years. It has worked beyond our wildest
dreams but it is also fragile and can be easily fractured if not protected.

We have had trial periods with other gTLDs and we should remember why
they did not work for the greater good of the web community. Some
would argue that fortunes were made but they fell far short of expectations.

A final point that has been on my mind in regards to IDNs.
As an example; if someone built a business with global reach for 15
years like Hollywood.com and others were allowed to register
Hollywood.com in other dialects, wouldn't that harm both the owner of
Hollywood.com and those that expected to find the original site when
typing it in their browsers? Should there really be hundreds of
Hollywood.com, one for each dialect? Doesn't is harm the owner of
Hollywood.com if it is diluted in such a way? He or she should have
rights to their business that has been defined for 15 years around the
globe. The public would also be confused if they expected to visit the
address but was led to a different site with differing content. There
should be one Hollywood.com in any dialect.

This will be a problem for businesses that have had a web presence
built around a domain name as their brand and as the new IDNs get
built out.  I expect there will be future turf battles over first
claim rights. This is something that should have been foreseen but was not.

Michael Castello
CEO/President
Castello Cities Internet Network, Inc.
http://www.ccin.com