ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] Draft GNSO Council letter to the GAC

  • To: "bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] Draft GNSO Council letter to the GAC
  • From: Phil Corwin <pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 17:20:13 -0400

Thanks for the explanation, Philip. As you know I am fairly new to the BC so I
don't have a deep sense of its history on some of these issues. In the future,
even a few sentences of explanation of what the BC position has been on similar
matters in the past would be useful for those of us who are fairly new to the
Constituency as that is the only way we will get familiar with that historic
context.

As for government being an ally, I'm all for that when it's feasible but I
don't see that happening in my client's case as regards the GAC's asserted
claims on geo names at the second level, as domain investors just have a very
different viewpoint -- and if what they want had been the rule in the past then
a lot of very valuable geo-domains at .com and other incumbent gTLDs that
provide real benefits to consumers and local businesses would either not exist
or would have been awarded based on lobbying and political connections required
to get endorsement or non-objection. But that is the ICA view and if others
differ that would indeed indicate a lack of consensus within the BC and argue
for abstention.

Best regards and enjoy the weekend.

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004

202-347-6875 (office)

202-347-6876 (fax)

202-255-6172 (cell)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey