ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] Draft BC position Regsitry Registrar Separation

  • To: "'BC gnso'" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Draft BC position Regsitry Registrar Separation
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:54:24 +0200

I return from a holiday refreshed and revived and read with interest and not a
little disappointment the interesting dialogue on list on R&R separation,
tainted with some unfortunate tonality. Nevertheless, it seemed that the
majority of participants favoured the continuation of R&R separation making
valid arguments about competition, the likelihood of dominance, and the
uncertainty of the current threshold proposal.

This is to my mind exactly the issue on which the BC should have a position and
I attach a draft for discussion and subsequent voting.
I have tried to capture the key arguments I read on the previous list
discussions and hope I have captured the factual background correctly. Do let me
know if clarifications are needed.

Please note today as the start of the usual 14 day discussion period ending
August 24 after which we will conduct a vote on this or an amended position.
If you have proposals for amendment please do not submit a redline but refer to
the line numbering in the text of an e-mail and suggest the nature of the change
you propose. This process makes iterations and consistency easier to manage.

Philip