ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

Re: [bc-gnso] FW: The Affirmation of Commitments - What it Means

  • To: Bc list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] FW: The Affirmation of Commitments - What it Means
  • From: George Kirikos <icann@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:47:29 -0400

Hi again,

By the way, as a practical matter going forward, I think the BC
officers should in a timely manner raise at GNSO council the issue of
eliminating double-weighted voting for the registrars and registries
based on the language in paragraph 4 of the AOC, namely:

"4. ...... ICANN and DOC recognize that there is a group of
participants that engage in ICANN's processes to a greater extent than
Internet users generally."

I'm sure everyone can read that as a clear reference to the registrars
and registries.

The elimination of that double-weighted voting by the contracted
parties would be an important step forward, to ensure that policy
outcomes truly reflect the public interest, and in particular small
and large businesses around the world who are neither registrars nor
registries (no wanna-be registries).

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269