ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

Re: [bc-gnso] Orderly introduction of new TLDs

  • To: Ron Andruff <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] Orderly introduction of new TLDs
  • From: Liz Williams <lizawilliams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:12:51 +0100

Hello Ron

This is really interesting. Having just completed the Independent Review Process with the International Centre for Dispute Resolution in Washington DC on the .xxx domain application, your notes bring up two key subjective issues which will need fleshing out.

The first is that an applicant has to identify a community. I had thought that there were no limitations on the kind of applications which may be submitted and that generic applications (like .shopping) would be as acceptable as a .holidays (to continue your travel theme). We have had the proof of concept 2000 generic round, the limited "sponsored" 2003 round and I think that there is every expectation from a wide range of applicants that the next round would be open to any kind of applicant.

The second is differentiation from other TLDs. This is a very tricky question for applicants. It is easy to do that retrospectively comparing a new application to a legacy TLD but almost impossible to do against any concurrent application for something similar. For example, vacations, holidays and travel.

The other difficult part of this is that evaluator's must be given guidance in the evaluation process -- differentiation is subjective; adding value to the DNS is subjective (for example, I love to travel but does .travel add "value" to the DNS); assessing competition is subjective and where that competition exists in the chain of relationships between end users and registry operators.

Finally, isn't your concern about an applicant who may be applying for something that is similar to or competing with an existing TLD addressed in the objection processes?

Best wishes.

Liz