ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] Orderly introduction of new TLDs

  • To: <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] Orderly introduction of new TLDs
  • From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 07:41:26 -0400

Thanks for your prompt response, Liz.  As always, the devil is in the
details, but the issue here is simple:  As stewards of the Internet, does
the ICANN community agree that the DNS should be a 'quilt' where one TLD
adjoins another, if you will, or a patchwork that overlaps everywhere?  I
make no bones about it, this issue does impact our intended application, but
it is not just an issue for us.  Rather, if we as the ICANN community don't
get this right, there will be no such thing as an orderly introduction of
new TLDs - ever.  The DNS will become a chaotic place that not only doesn't
serve Internet users around the world - today and one hundred years from now
- the ever-growing confusion will only serve cement search engine companies'
control over the Net.

Drilling down a little deeper:  Naming the intended community is akin to
writing a business plan before you start your business.  The purpose is to
look at your business from every possible angle to ensure that one has a
good understanding of what their business is.  It is not to say every
applicant must be a community-based TLD.  I use the word community loosely
to determine which market a new TLD would appeal to.  Consider an applicant
for .BLUE.  Which is the community it will serve?  Tough to score high
points on that one; whereas .HOTEL is crystal clear.

On differentiation, if an applicant cannot demonstrate differentiation, why
should their TLD be added to the root?  What purpose does that TLD serve?
As you know, we had to answer that question in the round of 2004, and it was
subjective in its form at that time.  The current DAG has managed to remove
almost all of the subjectivity from the comparative evaluation, so I am
confident that we can do the same for the differentiation question.

We need to ensure that this exercise SERVES the greater good of Internet
users, not any entrepreneur who thinks she/he has a good idea.  As such, I
strongly believe that we need to add safeguards that protect registrants in
these new TLDs, as well as those who are building out the DNS.

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff

RNA Partners, Inc.