ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

Re: [bc-gnso] Ballot for a new BC Charter

  • To: BC gnso <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] Ballot for a new BC Charter
  • From: George Kirikos <icann@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:27:00 -0400

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 5:21 AM, Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx> wrote:
> The officers are discussing this and will revert to members as soon as time
> zone delays allow.
> There are certain knock-on effects of not voting before Seoul to consider.

And really, whose fault is that? The members who submit comments
immediately upon receipt of the draft charters? Or the officers have
been delaying charter reform for months. If it means that the officers
don't get a free trip to wine and dine in Seoul, I can live with that.
If it means we temporarily lose our voting rights in the GNSO, I can
also live with that, given that the IP and ISP constituencies
routinely vote the exact same way we do.

Two BC members have explicitly asked about/demanded that we merge into
the larger constituency (i.e. joining the IP and ISP constituencies
into one superconstituency), and I'd echo their points:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/msg00523.html
http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/msg00519.html

Another member has asked for the "minimally marked up" version of the
charter that ICANN staff provided long ago:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/msg00520.html

When you "revert to members", don't ignore these questions like you
typically do.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269