ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [bc-gnso] BC Position Statement on Vertical Integration (VI)-- single registrant TLDs

• To: bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] BC Position Statement on Vertical Integration (VI)-- single registrant TLDs
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 08:56:34 -0400

Philip,

Thank you for your response. I support your statement that we as BC members must advocate for commercial users. Just to be clear, the intent of my example is not in support of a Registry, but more about the market in general. I want to see each approved TLD succeed in the market, because that is ultimately the best for consumers. The last thing I want to support are policies that create unfair market conditions whereby a TLD fails and closes shop. Failing TLDs will create uncertainty and disruptions for other consumers and business users of that TLD.

Further, I will state that I have not finalized my opinions WRT to the concept of Single Registrant TLDs, as there are many other characteristics to consider in the whole. Single Registrant Single User(SRSU) vs. Single Registrant Multiple User(SRMU) has been discussed a fair amount by not exhaustively.

I appreciate the dialog.....lets keep the momentum going!  Thank you.

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC
berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.infinityportals.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Philip Sheppard
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 12:35 AM
To: bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] BC Position Statement on Vertical Integration (VI)-- single registrant TLDs

I too agree on case 1 and understand the complexity with the other cases.

My default in such cases is that unless one can be watertight in the definition,
then erring on the side of caution is probably better.
However, as BC members we need to think what is the best model for commercial
users, not what is best for one registry or other.
So I'm not very sympathetic to the fate of the dot.social registry !!

Philip

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy