ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] Promoting the market efficiencies of vertical integration

  • To: bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Promoting the market efficiencies of vertical integration
  • From: <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 13:00:04 -0700

font-size:10pt;"><div>As a communications counselor, I am always looking for
analogies to help aid the understanding of complex problems.&nbsp; I view VI at
ICANN as one such complex problem.&nbsp; A report from the Technology Policy
think tank focused on the economics of innovation and change (and headed by
U.S. Senate runner-up, Carly Fiorina), has issued a report promoting vertical
integration as "inherent" in efficient markets.&nbsp; Here is the link to the
press release (with a link to the report embedded): <a
 are arguable differences between the open markets addressed by the report and
the noblesse oblige of ICANN with regard to domain names, but I thought the
may all be beside the point, of course, if Kurt Pritz was to be believed at our
meeting in Washington, D.C.&nbsp; He said ICANN does not want to have to