ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

Re: [bc-gnso] Draft v1 of BC comments on latest gTLD Guidebook

  • To: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] Draft v1 of BC comments on latest gTLD Guidebook
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 20:56:04 -0400

Steve:

Thanks for pulling this together.

I agree with Jarkko on his point about not limiting the round to an artificial
number.  The round will be limited based on a number of factors, including
price, duration, technology, etc.  There will be a natural batching and timing
deviation for the reasons Jarkko mentions as well.

Also, could you confirm that the GAC (in either its scorecard or subsequent
imply that it does?  I think that we should be sure that we are entirely
factually accurate on these.

Finally, I would support a shorter set of comments with just the highlights or
summary points instead of another 19 page comment set.

Thanks.

Jon

"However, many other BC comments have been disregarded without explanation,
despite agreement from multiple stakeholders, including the Governmental
Advisory Committee (GAC). Notable are several previous BC recommendations to
raise the integrity and availability of new gTLDs:

·       *The first batch should be limited to significantly fewer than 500
applications, in order to test the operational readiness of newly designed
application processing and objection / contention systems.

·       *Applicants should be granted fee reductions for additional versions of
the applied-for string in IDN scripts and other languages.

·       *String Similarity contention sets should not include similar strings
requested by a applicant seeking linguistic variations of the applicant's other
applied-for string.

·       *Applicants should be required to pay an objection Response Filing Fee
in order to defend the rationale already included in their original application.

·       *Community priority evaluation should be given to applicants scoring at
least 13 points, not 14.

·       *RPMs are still substantially weaker than those recommended by the IRT.
 Consumers and businesses will inevitably be harmed by cybersquatting and other
fraud likely to occur in hundreds of new gTLDs, especially at the second
level."