ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] RE: Draft BC comment on proposed .NET Renewal

  • To: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'bc-GNSO@xxxxxxxxx GNSO list'" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] RE: Draft BC comment on proposed .NET Renewal
  • From: Phil Corwin <psc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 23:52:15 +0000

I have been advised that the BC Charter requires 10% of members (5 members at
present) to disagree with the proposed BC statement. I am hereby asking for
other BC  members to register disagreement with the draft BC comment.

However, I have to ask about the process that created the draft before us. I
have reviewed the e-mail thread at http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/ and it
is very sparse on this subject. On April 13th Marilyn posted ICANN's request
for comment. On May 3rd Steve posted the draft BC comment with this note:
Attached is a discussion draft for BC response prepared by Elisa Cooper  (with
edits by Mikey O'Connor and Steve DelBianco)

On our 21-April BC member call, we discussed our approach for this comment, and
there was universal support to request Verisign to have a "Thick WHOIS" service
in .NET
Elise and Mikey added two additional requests based on new gTLD registry
contract requirements:
- Add TM Claims Service once the TM Clearinghouse is operating.
- Add URS  (Uniform Rapid Suspension)

But of course Mikey indicated today that he disagrees with imposing URS on .Net
at this time.  With all respect, it appears that these provisions came solely
from Elisa and that they were not discussed on the 4/21 BC member call (I was
on that call and have no recollection of any such discussion).

The imposition of new gTLD RPMs on incumbent gTLDs is, in my opinion, a matter
that is completely extraneous to commenting on the provisions of the proposed
.Net contract renewal. In addition, it is not a minor technical matter but a
substantive issue of great import, with clear implications for the .Com renewal
coming up in 2012 as well as for any UDRP reform effort undertaken by ICANN.

I know of no previous BC discussion of whether the new RPMs should be imposed
on incumbent gTLDs at this time, much less the reaching of any consensus on
that issue. I know of no support for that position in any of ICANN's broader
policy efforts - in fact, as I noted earlier today, the majority of BC members
active in the RAPWG took the position one year ago that this should only be
considered after a PDP, and in no way supported imposition of URS on .Net as of
July 11, 2011 absent such a policy process. So what is the basis for putting
this position in a draft BC comment, and why was there no effort made to give
notice to Constituency members and ask their views on its inclusion?

So, while requesting objections from other BC members on both substantive and
procedural grounds, I have to ask why the onus is on objectors to seek a vote
on this matter and was not on the authors of the draft statement to seek
feedback from BC members on such an important matter.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050