ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] First post from ICANN meeting in Singapore: Decision Day is tomorrow

  • To: "'bc-GNSO@xxxxxxxxx GNSO list'" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] First post from ICANN meeting in Singapore: Decision Day is tomorrow
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 00:17:47 +0000

See below or on blog
(link<http://blog.netchoice.org/2011/06/decision-day-for-icann-the-end-of-the-beginning-or-the-beginning-of-the-end.html>).

Decision Day for ICANN: the end of the beginning, or the beginning of the
end?<http://blog.netchoice.org/2011/06/decision-day-for-icann-the-end-of-the-beginning-or-the-beginning-of-the-end.html>

I’ve just arrived in Singapore, where ICANN’s board will almost surely vote to
launch an unprecedented expansion plan for generic top-level domains (gTLDs).
As the new gTLDs start lighting-up over the next two years, we’ll look back on
this week as the “end of the beginning” since it ended several years of
planning for the actual expansion.

After the vote the real work begins: evaluating applications, implementing new
mechanisms, and contract compliance on a scale far greater than ICANN has ever
seen.

In a year or so we’ll know whether ICANN was up to the challenge.  If it turns
out there wasn’t adequate attention to concerns of governments, law
enforcement, and global brands, then we’ll look back on this weekend’s vote as
the beginning of the end for ICANN.

That’s because a botched expansion could discredit ICANN and its
multi-stakeholder model.  Mike Palage likened this to
humpty-dumpty<http://www.circleid.com/posts/what_icann_can_learn_from_humpty_dumpty/>
 falling off his wall and crashing into pieces.  Now, who’d rush in pick up the
pieces of Internet governance?   The United Nations and its International
Telecommunications Union (ITU), of course.

As NTIA chief Larry Strickling warned
ISOC<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/presentations/2011/Strickling_INET_06142011.html>
on Tuesday, “some nations persist in proposing such measures as giving the ITU
the authority to veto ICANN board decisions.”

But even ICANN’s harshest critics –including Mr. Strickling -- aren’t anxious
to have the UN and ITU take over Internet governance.  Because as I
describedhere<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20101130_a_tale_of_two_governance_models/>
 and
here<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20110327_dot_xxx_exposes_the_naked_truth_for_icann/>,
 the UN is a body where every government has one vote to trade, while the
private sector and civil society get no votes at all.

That’s one of the things I told a US Congressional committee when I
testified<http://www.netchoice.org/netchoice-testimony-to-us-house-judiciary-committee-for-hearing-on-icanns-new-gtlds/>
 at an ICANN oversight hearing last month.  I also encouraged the US Government
to hold ICANN to its obligations under the Affirmation of
Commitments<http://www.icann.org/en/documents/affirmation-of-commitments-30sep09-en.htm>,
 and to stay deeply engaged with ICANN’s Government Advisory Committee (GAC).
(Actually, those recommendations work for any government seeking a larger role
in Internet governance.)

At the end of the nearly 3-hour hearing, one Congressman pressed the witnesses
to explain why we needed any new TLDs.  I gave a two-part answer.  First, it’s
hard to see how we continue to grow the Internet without ever adding any new
TLDs.   Mobile, social, and local are where Internet innovation is happening
today, and domain expansion will provide new labels for these innovations.

Second, all present gTLDs are in the Latin alphabet – on a planet where 56% of
the population uses scripts other than Latin.   The only way non-Latin script
users can enter domain names and email addresses entirely in their native
language is to offer new gTLDs in non-Latin characters.

While I still have concerns about the expansion, I have to acknowledge the
efforts of ICANN to address most of the issues raised.   As with most
negotiations, a lot of the movement occurred only when there was real pressure
to bring closure to the planning stage.  It was that kind of pressure which
forced ICANN to address legitimate concerns of governments and businesses that
rely on DNS integrity and availability.

Recent negotiations with the GAC show that all of us at ICANN are finally
learning how to engage with governments.  As more governments get more involved
through the GAC and the Affirmation reviews, that engagement will grow.

Although I’ll continue to work for improvements up to the last minute, I’m also
prepared to applaud when the ICANN Board votes on the final plan.  Because
until we get past the end of the beginning, we’ll never get to work on the
happy ending we all want to see.

 --Steve DelBianco