ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] GNSO Councilor statements on IRTP-B resolution

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] GNSO Councilor statements on IRTP-B resolution
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 05:23:43 -0400

Zahid, John, sitting in the room and watching the dialogue and the back and
forth closely. Thanks so much, Zahid for your great intervention.
I know that you have the full support of the ExComm members in the room,
watching closely.
It is a good lesson to us that the WG model does have  some warts, but we need
to fix those. And as far as i recall, Council cannot change the policy
recommendations: it can review [and should/determine if it is complete]; and
based on that, approve, deny, or remand recommendations from a WG.
If there are challenges in balanced participation in a WG, and Kristina
mentioned an example of that..
but, the understanding of the WGs is that policy is developed at the WG, and
that the Council reviews, determines it is complete, and fulsome or not, and
approves, denies, or remands, with suggestions, I think. I do appreciate your
clarity of the role of Council, and you were quite right in pointing out that
while the outcome was acceptable [maybe frustrating but acceptable: e.g.
delaying one element], in the initial discussion online it idid "feel' like a
councilor might be proposing modifying a WG proposal.
The take away I have from this is to have a discussion at the CSG level, with
councilors and members from the CSG constituencies who have recent experience
on WGs about what they think is working, or not working well in WGs.
Personally, I long for the days of having to have at least assigned/accountable
rep per constituency for each WG, even if additional participants are
permitted. It is hard to prevent 'capture' in the present environment, however,
I am cognizant that having more people often provides more information.
Steve, can I ask that you advice on the list of BC members who have experience
in the present WGs. What I am interested in our understanding is if across the
CSG that we all believe that improvements are needed for the WG process.
changing the PDP process is coming up -- this is the time to look hard at the
WG procedures and ask ourselves if the procedures are adequate.
Recruiting members to participate in WGs is very challenging, since we ask
members to do a lot of work [a LOT of work]. I so much appreciate all the work
that our members are doing on the various WGs, including those WGs related to
Organizational stuff.
Thanks again, Zahid