ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] My first post from ICANN Dakar

  • To: "'bc-GNSO@xxxxxxxxx GNSO list'" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] My first post from ICANN Dakar
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 00:41:26 +0000

my early draft was pretty positive, but I turned more pessimistic after today's
GAC – GNSO fiasco.

See post
here<http://www.circleid.com/posts/a_month_in_africa_charts_the_promise_and_perils_of_internet_governance/>
 and below

A Month in Africa Charts the Promise and Perils of Internet
Governance<http://www.circleid.com/posts/a_month_in_africa_charts_the_promise_and_perils_of_internet_governance/>

  *   Oct 23, 2011 6:18 PM PDT

By Steve DelBianco<http://www.circleid.com/members/3698/>
[Steve DelBianco]

[http://www.circleid.com/images/uploads/6081.gif]There may be no better
illustration of how far we've come in Internet governance, than this: twice in
the past 30 days, the global Internet community has gathered in sub-Saharan
Africa to plot a path to bring the Internet to its next billion users. Just
weeks after wrapping up the sixth annual Internet Governance Forum (IGF) in
Kenya, Internet stakeholders from around the world traveled back to Africa for
ICANN's 42nd meeting in Dakar, Senegal.

Fifteen years ago, nearly every important decision about the Internet was made
in the United States. But in less than thirty days, the African continent will
have hosted two of the most important global Internet policy events of the year.

In less than a decade, we have witnessed the emergence of something truly
unprecedented. The model represented by ICANN and the IGF is the first to put
the management of a critical global resource in the hands of the very people
who use it.

The multi-stakeholder experiment begun in the late 1990s has scored enough
successes to become a blueprint for other global initiatives. Successes like
ICANN's scheduled expansion of top-level domains, growing crowds at each IGF
global meeting, and the spontaneous appearance of regional and national IGFs.

As with any progressive change, this revolutionary governance model is not
without its critics. Some of us naively hoped that as the multi-stakeholder
model racked up successes and built its track record for ensuring the stability
and functionality of the Internet, it might rise above reproach.

But as I say, that was a naive hope. Attacks on the multi-stakeholder model are
coming fast and from multiple quarters.

Traditional power brokers in some governments seek to squelch an emerging model
that asks them to participate as equals rather than rulers. Two proposals
surfaced over those eventful past 30 days: one from Russia, China, Tajikistan
and Uzbekistan; and another by India, Brazil and South Africa (IBSA). These
proposals would consolidate power for global Internet oversight in the hands of
state actors, and by extension reduce the role of nongovernmental stakeholders
in industry and civil society.

The IBSA proposal is particularly insidious. Without mentioning ICANN or the
IGF directly, it calls for creating a new body within the United Nations to
oversee Internet policy. What the proposal does not say, but what is clearly
inferred, is that existing, multi-stakeholder bodies like the IGF and ICANN
would either be marginalized and/or subjugated by this new UN entity.

If I can offer one observation to my fellow travelers in the multi-stakeholder
community, it is this: we've become dangerously complacent about the
inevitability of an Internet management model where we have a significant say
about policies. In reality, our individual efforts and earnestness are not
enough to defend us from those who would replace our model with the top-down
tradition favored by governments. If we cannot deliver enforceable policies to
maintain security and integrity of the Internet, we will be replaced.

At the IGF In Nairobi, I
cited<http://www.circleid.com/posts/multi_stakeholder_debate_at_the_igf_lessons_from_a_safari>
 the multi-species cooperation at a watering hole on the African savannah as a
lesson for our own multi-stakeholder community to follow. If there's one thing
you notice about the apparent calm at the watering hole, it's how the animals
are persistently watchful for external threats. Animals that fail to cooperate
in collective vigilance and defense endanger themselves and at most a few other
unlucky victims in the herd.

But when it comes to defending the multi-stakeholder model, a lack of attention
and cooperation puts the whole species at permanent risk of extinction.