ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

Re: [bc-gnso] for expedited review: draft BC comment on registry proposal for Continuity Operations Instrument (COI)

  • To: Ron Andruff <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] for expedited review: draft BC comment on registry proposal for Continuity Operations Instrument (COI)
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:04:39 -0600

this line of reasoning makes me uncomfortable -- coming from the BC.

i can see why a prospective registry-operator would want to minimize the
capital cost of getting into the game -- but i don't see where the Business
Constituency would have much motivation along that line.

our credo tends to hew more towards security, stability, predictability,
long-term viability.  i would think that good insurance/assurance programs like
the alternatives Phil describes (thanks Phil) would be something that we'd want
to applaud rather than fight…

i think there's also a distinction to be made between the technical fail-over
systems of a registry back-end provider and the *business* continuity of the
registry that is contracting with them.  again, i would think we would tend to
favor high standards -- to reduce the risks that come from marginal registry
operators making imprudent decisions in the struggle to survive.

just my 2 cents…

mikey