ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] RE: [Bc-private] URGENT - redrafted letter from officers to ICANN Board re improvements in the new gTLD program

  • To: "'Marilyn Cade'" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'bc-private icann.org'" <bc-private@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Bc GNSO list '" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] RE: [Bc-private] URGENT - redrafted letter from officers to ICANN Board re improvements in the new gTLD program
  • From: <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:31:28 -0800

Why are our deliberations about policy positions so often pushed by a few
members to the private list?  I think that is contrary to the reason we have
a public list, and to our stated commitment to develop policy openly and
transparently.  I am moving it back to the public list where it belongs.

I attach a redline with suggestions for improvement and accuracy in
Marilyn's redraft.  It requires changes, or at least a formal policy process
per our Charter if she is going to maintain some of her stated positions.

The major issues I see with this, at this point:

1.       The BC has never discussed or recommended any sort of "block list"
policy, and this would be a major policy recommendation that must go through
the policy development procedures in Section 7 of the BC Charter
<http://www.bizconst.org/charter.htm> .  The implementation of such a policy
across all TLDs would be unfathomable.  As you state it, United can go and
prevent anyone from registering United in any TLD?  (Um, "which United". one
might ask.)  Oh, and lucky for Siemens, they own 'MUSIC' as a registered
trademark for hearing aids in the USA since 1997!  ICANN has already given
away new TLD operators' rights to use any country name, ICANN's trademarks,
etc., for absolutely no logical reason.  Now you want the BC to propose that
all words that are registered trademarks anywhere in the world can be
blocked by any holder of any such registration, across every new TLD in the
world?  At minimum, this will require more thoughtful, and formal, written
policy development per our Charter.  You can't just throw this skeletal and
dubious proposal into a letter to the Board, merely because you and a few
other members like the idea.  Particularly while giving the membership just
one holiday weekend to consider your idea?!  There is no rush to get such a
position developed, if that is what the membership wants to do, but I
suspect the idea will die fairly quickly once people think for a moment
about the implications.

2.       Your statement about Community Priority should restate the position
we have agreed upon in prior, formally developed policy positions on this
issue.  Specifically, we have recommended lessening the CPE passing score
from 12 to 11 points.  We have never discussed giving 'brands' any priority
over other applicants, unless somehow they can qualify as a community-based
applicant.  Again the practical implementation of such a policy is
unfathomable, given that almost every single word imaginable is registered
somewhere as a trademark, or otherwise used as a 'brand' by someone,
somewhere.

3.       The BC has never proposed a centralized URS service, and I don't
know what you mean by this.  Instead we have expected it to operate similar
to the UDRP, with several accredited providers, and we suggest ICANN have a
contract with all providers.  So that proposal needs to come out.

4.       Agreed with URS transfer option, as we have long agreed in our
written policy positions, but why are we now suggesting an additional fee to
trademark owners?  Again this seems like a new and unhelpful idea that has
not been properly discussed, so that proposal should come out.

5.       We should reiterate our call for the TMC to include "brand +
keyword" and brand typosquats, as we have previously agreed in prior written
policy documents.  That would be the single biggest help to trademark owners
and businesses, and could be easily achievable as there really is no
downside consequence from additional notices going out to applicants for
domain registration.

I hope everyone has a happy new year, it is regretful that some in the BC
leadership are so urgently pushing new proposals to us at this point in
time.  I frankly don't see the urgency, unless someone is hoping to delay
the new TLD application window from opening, as scheduled for more than six
months now.

Mike Rodenbaugh

RODENBAUGH LAW

tel/fax: +1.415.738.8087