ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] FW: letter regarding improvements to new gTLD Program

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>, "bc-secretariat @icann" <bc-secretariat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] FW: letter regarding improvements to new gTLD Program
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 08:39:01 -0500

Dear BC Members
Thank you to all of you who have participated, and followed these discussions
from mid December to today.
The attached letter was sent to the ICANN Board chair and to ICANN's
CEO/President.
It reflects the ongoing input and concerns raised by those BC members who
offered comments during the discussion on this topic, from Dec 12-January 4.
The list of possible improvements that was previously in an earlier version of
the letter was removed, and remains a living document. It was not forwarded.
That list will be part of the BC members discussion next week on the BC call.
I will recirculate it as a stand alone document later this week.  Most of the
items are already supported by the BC. The new item on the draft list is the
'do not register/registry block' service.  Again, that list is for discussion.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TIME SLOT FOR THE BC CALL ON 1/10 HAS BEEN CHANGED TO
ENSURE THAT BC MEMBERS INVOLVED IN A N IMPORTANT GNSO COUNCIL WORKING GROUP CAN
PARTICIPATE. THE NEW TIME SLOT IS 11 A.M. EST. I WILL REPOST THIS SEPARATELY,
AS A SECOND REMINDER.

As always, the BC stands ready to work toward solutions to problems and
challenges.
I fully appreciate that a few members strongly disagreed with elements of the
original letter and kept editing it to best reflect the breadth of input
received. It does not call for a delay in the launch of the program, but calls
for improvements in areas that presently cause risks and costs to in
particular, trademark holders everywhere, and calls for improvements in the
Comms Plan. It has been challenging with the intervening holiday period, and
thus the discussion stretched over three + weeks.  I have done my best to take
everyone's views into account. Not all will be satisfied, and I realize some
wanted much stronger concerns expressed, and a few objected to different
suggestions, and a few objected to the letter. The letter attached is an effort
to reflect the broad BC overall. Individuals are always free to state that they
do not support a particular BC position, and I fully respect that.

Please let me know if I can respond to any questions.
Marilyn CadeBC Chair